Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Burned and Burned out in Paradise




Another toasty day in the sun, on the beach and in the pool. There are limits to the powers of 50 waterproof SPF sunscreen, as I suspected when I was a little red after the first couple of days. By late in the afternoon, just as the sun was becoming more tolerable, I knew that I would be paying, once again, the price for Celtic skin. I had scorned the lotion with the medicinal fragrance supplied with our toiletries but I was very grateful for it last night.
I did love the day, though. Marilyn and I revisited the summers of our childhood, when we spent  hours in the water, swimming and playing.  My favorite pool is the one with the swim-up bar, because it has a little shade throughout the day and is only a few steps from the beach. While I’ve had my share of alcoholic libations, I’m happy that bottled water is readily available everywhere – it’s very necessary in this heat.
We had dinner at the Japanese restaurant, at a table for 12 around a very hot grill. Ricardo is a very flamboyant grillmaster and it was fun to watch him, especially when he shared the grill with assistant chefs picked from our dinner companions, including Chris. We met a family of four from Montreal, so it was fun for me to speak French again, especially with these friendly people. Bob did a little shopping for cigars at the stalls set up for the evening.
Today promises to be another hot one. I’m going to try to stay out of the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment