Sunday, January 3, 2010

Dreams Palm Beach

I downed the bright orange welcome cocktail as we were checking in, and soon we were in our large, tiled rooms. Ours faces one of the pool areas. The dire warnings I had read in traveler reviews did not materialize and we find the accommodations perfectly acceptable. Chris, Becky and I walked over to the beach almost immediately. It wasn’t too crowded and vacationers were enjoying the boats, snorkeling and wading in the water. Later in the afternoon, we joined Bob for a drink outside the lobby. Staff are always hovering with a bottle of wine and will bring whatever beverage you wish, at any time of day, or so it seems. Both the red and white wines I had reminded me of the Spanish and Portuguese table wines I enjoyed so much on our trip several years ago, nothing remarkable but fine with food.

The mosquitoes attacked Becky and me while we were standing in line waiting for a table at the seaside grill, so we ate inside – as much as anything is really “inside” – instead at the buffet. We were all ravenous and the food was just fine for our first evening. We ended the evening with a swim and hot tub at the only open pool area. Bob and I hit our bed early and had a great night’s sleep on our very comfortable king bed. I’m sitting at the little glass table overlooking the pool, watching a maintenance worker wearing a mask, cleaning the pool with some kind of rake. Now, if only we could get some sun. I’m perfectly happy with the overcast skies, but the others would prefer some solar energy.

3 comments:

  1. Looks awsome Cath,
    do you know if they have a live web cam anywhere close to you ? would be fun to see every so often during the days you are all there .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you. What resort are you at? we had problems with on again off again waether in Punta Cana a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are at Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana http://www.dreamsresorts.com/drepb/index.html. There are no webcams but I found lots of photos all over the web.

    ReplyDelete