Thursday, January 7, 2010

Welcome Winds and Overcast Skies



The morning began with the usual cloudless sky and we spent our time in the style of the 18th Century Salon, without any literary or philosophical pretension. I was trying to stay out of the sun so we hung out in the vicinity of the lobby, where we eventually visited with many in our party. We had lunch for the first time in the World Café, where the variety of fruits and vegetables gave us a meal a cut above the hamburgers on the beach we ate on previous days.

By afternoon, the wind had driven many vacationers from the beach. We had no trouble finding beach chairs and watched the parasailors, windsurfers and a few sailors. Most boats remained anchored in the little harbor in front of the Grand Oasis resort up the beach.  We found out later that Harry and Laura had been among the parasailors, so I hope one of my pictures is of the two of them.  By 3 o’clock, the sky was cloudy and I figured I could expose my sunburn, so I spent the rest of the afternoon in the pool. The usual suspects at the swim-up bar were liquored up by then and were starting up a water polo match that never gained much momentum, but the wildly thrown ball made me retreat to the far end of the pool, where I chatted with Bob and, later, Becky and Chris, until we went inside.

The Manager’s Cocktail Party at 6:30 was fun and interesting. We were served drinks and canapés and entertained by the excellent keyboardist and female vocalist. By the time darkness fell, Becky and Chris and joined us, and we headed into the Portofino for an Italian dinner. The restaurant seemed understaffed and our wine glasses were empty for much of the meal – uncommon in this place, where one usually has to watch the glass to make sure it isn’t filled too often! The meals were mediocre, I think, though Chris’ lasagna was, once again, an excellent choice.

We stopped to listen to the music near the wedding gazebo and it was fun to see the performers in the evening show cruise through, all dressed in brightly colored Mardi Gras costumes, including a very tall stilt walker. I read in bed for awhile while Bob sat outdoors on the deck.  The clouds saved my skin yesterday; today has dawned very sunny so I’m sure I’ll have to be careful later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment