Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Deluxe Tropical View

Our rooms are in the “deluxe tropical view” class and, on our first day, Becky did her best to get us an upgrade to “preferred club”. In the end, we decided our original room assignments are fine.  I was a little wistful that we don’t face the ocean but we spend so much of our day at the beach that it’s lovely to be in this cool, shady room at the end of the day. We are directly above one of the pools, with a bank of palm trees protecting us from the sun and intrusive stares. The tile floor is very cool on my warm feet and at night,we sleep well and soundly.  Bob and I just shared a Diet Coke from the mini-bar. He’s outside on the deck doing a little people-watching.
We have a very real sense of being in the tropics. The day we arrived, I felt as though I must re-read the famous E.M. Forster novel, “A Passage to India”. There is really no resemblance to the colonial unease in that novel, but the whole place has that somewhat dank smell that follows a rainfall in the jungle. I learned that there had been three hours of torrential rain the week before we arrived. We ourselves experienced a little light rain on Saturday and quite a downpour last night. I feel that the entire resort would revert to a lush jungle if left alone for a couple of years. I will have to read more Dominican Republic history when I get home. I am only vaguely aware of the dictatorship of Rafael Trujillo, who was assassinated in 1961.
Once again, we spent most of our day visiting and not doing much of anything else, except move lazily from pool to beach, enjoying the libations in the swim-up bar. We’re going to give the Japanese restaurant a try again this evening, with better luck, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment